So, you guys, this is the best. Whether you’re a meat eater or a plant-based-diet lover, you’re going to love this recipe, it’s so yummy and easy. It’s from Alicia Silverstone‘s “The Kind Diet” and so worth trying.
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 cubes
- 2 cups yellow onion, large dice
- 1.5 cups carrots, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 cubes
- 1.5 cups zucchini, cut into 3/4 cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- 1.5 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1.5 cups whole wheat couscous
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2: Place the squash, onion, carrots and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Step 3: Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.
Step 4: While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
Step 5: Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin, saffron and salt to taste.
Step 6: Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.
Step 7: Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl and add the couscous.
Step 8: Bring the vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.
Step 9: Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
Step 10: Add the scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork, and serve